Are you looking for a way to cool off this summer with a refreshing cocktail without packing on unwanted calories? Look no further! Our Summer Sippin’ Wine Spritzer is the perfect low-calorie drink that will satisfy your cravings and refresh your taste buds. With just 4 ingredients, this easy-to-make recipe can be a great addition to any backyard BBQ, pool party, or picnic. Keep reading to learn how to make this delicious spritzer—and get ready for some serious sippin’!
Table of Contents
What is a Wine Spritzer?
The Summer Sippin’ Wine Spritzer is more than just a light and refreshing alcoholic drink. It’s also a great way to save on calories – which means you can indulge without feeling guilty!
Plus, this wine spritzer recipe is incredibly simple to make – so you won’t have to spend time in the kitchen prepping an elaborate cocktail. Just grab your ingredients and you’ll be ready to sip in no time!
“Spritzers originated in Austria in the 19th century as a way to make bubbly wine. The name comes from the German word “spritzen” or “to spray”: referring to diluting wine with water. Spritzers dilute the wine by 25% or 50%, and they’re especially popular in the summertime in Europe!
A wine spritzer is similar to a spritz. But a spritz is made with sparkling wine (champagne or Prosecco), bitters, and soda water: like an Aperol spritz. Add the “er” and it becomes this refreshing bubbly wine concoction.“
What is a wine spritzer made of?
It’s made with 3 parts wine and 1 part carbonated water, and garnished with fresh fruits like strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries.
The combination of these ingredients results in a low-calorie beverage that is both flavorful and hydrating.
The sweetness from the fruit provides balance to the tartness of the lime or lemon juice, while the sparkling bubbles help to enhance the overall flavor.
Plus, it’s so versatile that you can use whatever type of wine or fruit you prefer. Whether you like your spritzers light and sweet or tart and dry, this recipe has something for everyone.
Plus, it’s a great way to add an extra bit of flair to any outdoor gathering!
Choosing Your Carbonated Water
For our wine spritzer recipe, you can use any type of carbonated water you like.
What is good to mix with wine?
Here are the three most favorite options for carbonated water:
- Sparkling Water – which is naturally carbonated mineral water
- Seltzer – which is water carbonated by the manufacturer without added minerals
- Club Soda – which is water whose carbonation and minerals have been added by the manufacturer – tends to be a popular choice for wine spritzers because it tends to have a neutral taste
3 Ways to Add Flavor to your wine spritzer
- FRUIT – One of the most effortless ways of imparting flavor to a wine spritzer is by adding fruit. For instance, during the summer, incorporate fresh strawberries or raspberries with a twist of lemon peel, while on a hot day, frozen peaches work wonders. Sauvignon Blanc complements these fruits particularly well, though watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon are other excellent options that go well with most varieties of white wine.
- BITTERS – Bitters, a true bartender’s secret weapon. These concentrated flavor enhancers add complexity to drinks and cocktails. Infused with botanicals like herbs, tree bark, roots, and fruits, they are usually made in a neutral-flavored alcohol. All you need is a few drops to give your drink an explosion of flavor! The most famous among them, Angostura Bitters, has found a special place in Old Fashioneds and is widely used in cocktails. Today, there are multiple bitters in various delightful flavors flowering in the market. At Top Shelf, we also carry Peychauds Aromatic Bitters and Peychauds Bitters.
- FRESH HERBS – Moreover, adding fresh herbs isn’t just a feast for the eyes but for the palate too, lending a nuanced flavor to cocktails. Take your pick from basil’s mild sweetness to mint’s refreshing aroma, or the earthiness of rosemary and thyme’s boldness.
BONUS! Enhance your cocktail experience by adding elderflower liqueur (such as St. Germain) to introduce a new dimension to your drink that is worth exploring.
Refreshing and low-calorie wine spritzer recipe that’s perfect for summer sipping
This recipe is incredibly simple, yet it’s sure to become a summer staple for wine lovers. A wine spritzer accomplishes two things at once – it helps you save the bottle and enjoy a bigger drink with fewer calories. A smart, tasty choice, indeed!
Although the recipe is simple in nature, there are myriad ways to elevate it to something truly special.
Here’s the basic framework for any wine seltzer recipe!
- Pick Your Favorite Wine
- Fill with your Carbonated Water of Choice
- Add Tasty Extras
- Use Fresh Garnishes
- Keep It Cold
How to Make a White Wine Spritzer
A white wine spritzer is effectively white wine mixed with carbonated water.
The key takeaway? Ensure that you passionately adore the underlying wine.
Most people prefer a crisp, fruit-forward wine like a pinot grigio to build a solid, flavorful foundation for a white wine spritzer.
Classic White Wine Spritzer Recipe
- Fill a cocktail glass with large ice cubes 1/2 cup
- Add 3/4 cup of white wine
- Fill with 1/4 cup of your preferred seltzer (ie club soda)
- Add Tasy Extras (optional)
- Cut the rind of the citrus and wipe the rim of the glasses with it, then garnish with the citrus rind.
How to Make a Sweet Moscato Spritzer Recipe
What You Need (recipe from Real Simple)
- 4 ounces Moscato
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (depending on the desired level of sweetness)
- Slice of lemon or lemon peel for garnish
- Club soda
Steps to Make a Sweet Moscato Spritzer
- Step 1: Pour Moscato into a glass, then add agave nectar and lemon juice; stir.
- Step 2: Add a splash of club soda and garnish with a lemon slice or peel.
How to Make a Red Wine Spritzer
The red wine spritzer is an interesting concoction – it takes the boldness of red wine and gives it a refreshing twist, somewhat akin to sangria. The key to a great red wine spritzer is finding the right balance: a 50/50 wine-to-bubbles ratio does the trick. Perfect for a summer day!
- Grab a bottle of red wine. Chill it if you can, but it works without chilling too.
- Pour about ½ cup into a glass.
- Pour in an equal amount of carbonated water.
- Garnish with an orange slice
- Stir gently and enjoy!
All that’s left is to share
Your Summer Sippin’ Wine Spritzer is now complete! Enjoy while watching the sunset with friends or family. And don’t forget to share the wine spritzer recipe with your loved ones – because sharing is caring!
Summertime calls for cooler drinks and lighter meals, and our easy-to-make Wine Spritzer is the perfect way to indulge without going overboard.
With just four ingredients, this refreshing beverage can be enjoyed at any outdoor gathering in no time. So go ahead and add this delicious drink to your summer rotation – it’s sure to be a hit! Cheers!
Pick up your wine seltzer ingredients at Top Shelf in Effingham, Illinois – here!